Understanding Circumcision: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach to a Multi-Dimensional Problem
Edited by George C. Denniston, Frederick Mansfield Hodges and Marilyn Fayre Milos. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2001. 404 pages. No price listed. www.wkap.nl. Anyone interested in purchasing can contact Marilyn Milos at email@example.com or (415)488-9883 for further information.
J. Steven Svoboda
This book contains the proceedings of the excellent Sixth International Symposium on Genital Integrity, held from December 7-9, 2000 in Sydney, Australia. Here is a listing of the contents:
1. Ending the Forced Genital Cutting of Children and the Violation of their Human Rights: Ethical, Psychological and Legal Considerations by Gregory J. Boyle, Ph.D.
2. Jewish Circumcision: An Enigma in Historical Perspective by Leonard B. Glick, M.D., Ph.D.
3. The Compulsion to Circumcise is Constant: The Reasons Keep Changing by Michael Katz, M.D.
4. Male Circumcision in South Korea: History, Statistics and the Role of Doctors in Creating a Circumcision Rate of Over 100% by Myung-Geol Pang, Ph.D., Sae Chul Kim, M.D., Ph.D. and DaiSik Kim, Ph.D.
5. Attitudes of Egyptian Intellectuals Towards Genital Integrity For All by Seham Abd el Salam Mohamed, M.A., M.D.
6. Sunna Gudnin: An Alternative Ritual to Infibulation in Merka Somalia by Pia Grassivaro Gallo, Ph.D., Lydia Rabuffetti, and Franco Viviani, Ph.D.
7. The Struggle Against Female Genital Mutilation/Female Circumcision: The European Experience by Els Leye.
8. A Review of Circumcision in New Zealand: ‘I never liked doing them and I was pleased to give them up’ by Ken McGrath, V.R.D., M.Sc., L.I.Biol. and Hugh Young.
9. Circumcision of Boys in Sweden: Proposal for Government Regulation by Yngve Hofvander, M.D.
10. “A Source of Serious Mischief:” The Demonization of the Foreskin and the Rise of Preventive Circumcision in Australia by Robert Darby, Ph.D.
11. The Frenular Delta: A New Preputial Structure by Ken McGrath, V.R.D., M.Sc., L.I.Biol.
12. Physical, Sexual, and Psychological Effects of Male Infant Circumcision: An Exploratory Survey by Gillian A. Bensley and Gregory J. Boyle, M.Ed., M.A., Ph.D.
13. Neonatal Circumcision: Its Long-Term Harmful Effects by Tracey Gemmell and Gregory J. Boyle, M.Ed., M.A., Ph.D.
14. Ritual and Medical Circumcision among Filipino Boys: Evidence of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder by Samuel Ramos and Gregory J. Boyle, M.Ed., M.A., Ph.D.
15. Assaulted and Mutilated: A Personal Account of Circumcision Trauma by Shane E. Peterson.
16. Doctors, Be Warned: Circumcise Today, and You Could Be Sued Tomorrow by J. Neville Turner, LL.B.
17. The Limits of the Law: Comparative Analysis of Legal and Extralegal Methods to Control Child Body Mutilation Practices by J. Steven Svoboda, J.D.
18. Circumcision as a Component of the Normative Abuse of Children: Introducing the Proclamation for Transforming the Lives of Children by John W. Travis, M.D., M.P.H.